Happy Friday! Of course, I have another Bold Moves Fearless Friday #3 + Friday Five episode for you, this one with a challenge from the beautiful Danika Brysha!
In case you haven’t listened to or watched her interview (and if that is the case… ahem! Get to it!), here’s a brief summary of who this amazing and inspiring woman is – a model, and the founder and CEO of Model Meals, a HEALTHY meal delivery service serving Southern California!
She has issued a challenge for this week for our #BoldMovesFearlessFridays and it’s a doozy – and one I’ve attempted many times before and try to make a regular habit. What is it?
But I bet you will figure it out by continuing into the Friday Five. I am not usually a Friday Five person (if you’re not familiar, it’s a blogger thing), but I am participating in a campaign with Aftershokz, a company who makes these amazing headphones, and sharing a Friday Five is part of the deal!
As you may or may not know, one of the major causes I give my time to is the fight against breast cancer, since my mom is a survivor. Usually, this is through doing the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, and I still do plan to do that in San Diego next month. Wait, how is it already next month?! I am going to need to get going on donations! Can you help?!
Unbelievably recently, scientists have proven that sugar in Western diets increased the risk of breast cancer tumors and metastasis… As though there weren’t enough reasons to avoid sugar, I thought this tied in perfectly with the beautiful Danika’s challenge, so here we go: Fearless Friday #3 + Friday Five: Five Tips to Eliminate Sugar From Your Diet!
1. Grab a buddy! Hard things are easier to do when you have friends there to help you along the way. If you’re going to participate in this one, invite a friend to join! I am assembling a challenge group (i.e. support group on facebook) where we can all help each other out to share recipes, information, and support each other through sugar cravings! Check it out here! Don’t forget to also share the #BoldMovesFearlessFridays hashtag on social media!
2. Get rid of all the sugary stuff you have in your cabinets (and not by eating it)! It’s easier to avoid temptation if you don’t have it in your face! Get your family on board, too – it’s just a week! Donate it to a food pantry, throw it in the garbage (some would argue it’s not a waste if it’s not real food anyway) or lock it up so that you don’t have to say no!
3. Watch out for sneak attacks! This could be by well-meaning people bearing gifts of sugar, or from things you THINK are sugar free, but actually have sugar added under other names! During this time, you MUST read labels and make sure you’re not getting tricked! And it isn’t just how you think… A lot of the time, things you wouldn’t imagine would have sugar actually do… Like McDonald’s French fries, which actually have SEVENTEEN ingredients! Yikes!
📷 ⬆️ Source: ThatSugarFilm.com ⬆️
4. Choose whole foods. You can avoid the sneaky ingredients by eating foods that just have one ingredient – whatever it is! You don’t have to worry about what’s in broccoli – it’s broccoli! A great way to avoid added sugar is by following one of my favorite food rules – only eat it if it grew from the ground or had a mom!
5. Cook for yourself! This piggy-backs off of #3 & #4, but if you are making your own food, you don’t have to worry much about what’s in it! One of my favorite people in the food world, Michael Pollan (in the video below), said that a great way to fight obesity would be to allow people to eat only what they cooked themselves. I know there’d be a lot of treats I wouldn’t be getting if it weren’t for that! Also, you don’t have to worry about ingredients being fishy (and I don’t mean seafood) if you make your meals yourself!
Well, there’s your Fearless Friday #3 + Friday Five : How to avoid Breast Cancer by removing sugar from your diet!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Aftershokz in an effort to spread awareness about their new Pink Trekz headphones, in partnership with Bright Pink to support and spread awareness around breast cancer awareness. All opinions and words are my own. I truly appreciate all of the brands the support the Sweat Pink community.
Do you have any tips to add? Comment below!
P.S. Did you like what you read? Make sure to check out other blogs on the page, and to subscribe by entering your email below, so you never miss a post!